When I think of my everyday makeup routine, 3 things come to mind: natural, no-fuss, long lasting. That’s what I look for when reaching for products to use on the regular. I love using fool-proof products that are easy to apply and require no thinking. Products I can just slap on & go in no time at all, that will last throughout the day with little to no touch ups. That’s what these products below all have in common and why I like using them everyday.
1. Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer. A primer & moisturizer in one that you can use with or without a separate moisturizer. I have combo skin that tends to pull more dry in the cold winter months so my skin has been loving this one recently. It also has two of my favourite ingredients: Niacinamide (improves the appearance of pores, uneven skin, fine lines, wrinkles & also boosts skin collagen to tighten skin and prevent acne breakouts) & Hyaluronic Acid (helps skin retain over 1,000x its weight in water aka prevents moisture loss). If you have dry or combo skin and haven’t found the right primer for your skin yet, give this one a try!
2. Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden. This eye primer provides the perfect blank canvas for your eyeshadows. It’s nude colour cancels out any discolouration on your lids and helps to enhance the colours of your eyeshadows while prolonging the wear of them. Make sure to set it once it dries down to prevent creasing with an eyeshadow colour closest to your natural skin tone. I’ve tried setting it with a translucent powder but for me it just wasn’t thick enough to prevent creasing. Since using an eyeshadow I have never looked back & my lids have never looked creased.
3. IT Cosmetics CC Cream in Light. A product I can’t seem to get enough of. I have large pores and textured skin which makes it hard to find a base with fuller coverage that doesn’t enhance all that goodness. That’s why I love this one. It provides great medium coverage that doesn’t feel heavy on the skin. It’s not as light as a tinted moisturizer but if you want great coverage without the heaviness of a foundation, you might like this one. It also provides a beautiful glow that doesn’t leave my skin looking oily. It doesn’t cover up my acne scarring completely but it really does even out my skin tone which is why it would be great for anyone with redness. Not only does it have SPF 50 but it was developed with plastic surgeons and dermatologists so the list of skincare benefits it contains is insane. The longer you wear it the better it looks on the skin, which is why I love wearing this one everyday.
4. Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Concealer in Light 2N. A concealer that has great coverage and is crease resistant, who wouldn’t love it? This new launch from Laura Mercier is my go-to under eye concealer right now. I have dry under eyes so it’s difficult to find a concealer that has good coverage but isn’t heavy. This one does the trick for me. The colour of this shade does pull more yellow on very neutral undertone, so I would probably go a shade lighter next time.
5. Glossier Stretch Concealer in Light. My first Glossier purchase and definitely not my last. This concealer is all about hydration & brightening. It doesn’t provide the most coverage which is why I love using it after my Laura Mercier concealer right in the inner portion where any bags or puffiness would typically start. A little trick to really help brighten your under eyes and make you look more awake. This concealer provides a skin-like finish & hydrating glow. For application you can use your fingers or a dampened makeup sponge. In the winter months I set it with a light powder to prevent creasing, but I brought this on my honeymoon to Costa Rica and I didn’t need to set it at all. I absolutely loved it in the heat so I already know this will be my go-to concealer this summer.
6. RCMA No-Colour Powder. My favourite under eye setting powder. With my skin’s texture I don’t love setting my entire face with powder but setting my under eyes is a must. If I don’t set my under eyes, my concealer will completely set into my fine lines by the end of the day and those are lines I like to disguise. I used to the think the “baking trend” was a bit gimmicky until I tried it with this powder. By setting my concealer, it provides a flawless finish and also doesn’t dry out my skin. I’ve tried many powders including the most popular Laura Mercier Translucent Powder, but those powders dried out my under eyes and enhanced the texture. That’s why I love this RCMA No-Colour Powder and an added bonus: it also doesn’t cause any flashback in photos.
1. Milk Makeup Matte Bronzer in Baked. This is the first cream bronzer I’ve tried and I don’t know what took me so long. Cream products provide the most skin-like natural finish and can also last longer than powder depending on your skin type. If you’re super oily you might prefer powder products, but if you’re normal to dry then you might find these really sink into the skin much better and provide a more natural look. I like using this bronzer with a stippling brush to contour and define my cheek bones. You can also blend it out with your finger tips for an even easier application. On vacation this was the only bronzer I used and it lasted throughout the heat. If you’re looking for a good bronzer this summer look no further!
2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Bronzer in Saddle. This is one of the latest launches from ABH and I’m so happy I got my hands on it. This formula is super pigmented and blends like a dream. It will be perfect for my pale skin when shorts and tank tops come back this summer and I need to bronze my entire body….:) Right now I love using it after my Milk Makeup bronzer to set it and provide an all over bronzey glow.
1. Urban Decay Afterglow Blush in Video. For some reason this blush is only available on the Sephora website in Canada and not in stores. I first learned of this blush after hearing Allana Davison rave about it last year. I’m not sure why but I have a hard time finding blush shades that suit my neutral undertone but I instantly loved this one after the first application. It’s a soft nude colour that blends out so smoothly to provide a healthy flushed look to my skin. If you’re a blush beginner or someone who wants to try out a natural looking shade, this might be the perfect blush for you.
2. Becca Pressed Highlighter in Opal. I’m not a HUGE highlight lover so when this little guy was included as a 100 point perk at Sephora (aka free), I scooped it up. Again with textured skin, highlight can well….highlight that. Highlighter is meant to bring light to help lift and accentuate desired parts of the face which also helps to contour and give dimension. That’s why you see everyone apply highlighter to the tops of their cheekbones as it creates the illusion of a higher cheekbone. So if there are certain parts of your face that you don’t want to emphasize, skip the highlighter on that specific area. My favourite way to apply highlighter is with a brush and then followed by dampened beauty sponge to really create a natural seamless look. I also love using the same highlighter that I apply on my face to the inner corner of my eyes to really help brighten my eyes and bring the whole look together.
1. Urban Decay Naked2 Palette. An oldie but a goodie. I always go back and forth with palettes but I’ve really been loving the cool tones of this palette lately. I don’t love every single shade but the ones I do love can be used in numerous ways. The palette is mainly cool toned but it also has one warm shade which is perfect to use as a transition colour in the crease. This palette is easy to blend and the colour lasts all day without creasing. Basically everything you want your eyeshadow to do.
2. Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara. I’m all about the waterproof mascara life. I’ve used many mascaras and I have yet to find a one that holds a curl as well as a waterproof one. Sure it takes a bit longer to take off at night but I’ve got an amazing oil cleanser that does the work for me. I’ve never received so many compliments on my lashes as I do with this one – my husband even asked me one day if I was wearing false lashes. It’s volumizing, holds a curl all day, plus the colour payoff is great. The only downfall is that it occasionally transfers right underneath my brow bone which is why I wouldn’t call this my holy grail. I’m still on the hunt for the best waterproof mascara out there but this one is definitely one of the best I’ve tried so far.
3. Benefit Ka-BROW! in 3 Medium. I grew up with a thick unibrow so the main thing I have to do for my brows is get them waxed. The arch of my brow is a little sparse however so I do like using a product to fill in those areas. I really love the convenience of this product as it comes with the perfect angled brush inside the lid (I love 2 in 1 products!). The only thing I miss with this product is a spooly but with the formula as smooth as butter that doesn’t budge, you learn to live without the spooly.
4. Brow Gel. You may have noticed a brow gel missing from my photos but that isn’t by choice! I love a good brow gel to help create that textured feathered brow…I’m just on the hunt to find it! I’ve tried the Anastasia Brow Gel and the Tarte Tartiest Brow Gel. Both had great formulas but the spooly lost points for me as one was too big and the other too small. I have two brow gels on my wish list with the hopes one will get me to that desired feathered look. The Glossier Boy Brow and the Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Brows are my next ones to try so fingers crossed they do the trick!
1. Huda Beauty Liquid Lipstick in Bombshell. My one & only. This is hands down my favourite lip formula I’ve ever tried, and I’ve tried a lot. With all the hype around Huda Beauty upon her initial launch, it took me a while to get on the hype train. Sometimes products can be a little overhyped where their popularity over shadows their formula and with her insane popularity on social media I was a bit worried that would be the case here. Well let me tell you I was wrong. When you first apply it, the lipstick is very wet in texture and the colour is not what you expect when looking at the tube. Upon initial application I literally thought to myself “what the…?”, but then I let it dry down and I was obsessed. The colour dries down to a shade darker and the formula leaves a beautiful & comfortable matte finish. There are too many liquid lipsticks on the market that dry the heck out of your lips but this one is insanely comfortable, you literally can’t feel it. The wand also makes it easy to apply and I can actually over draw my lips to create that fuller look, without it looking too obvious ;). I’ve tried multiple shades in her collection and I didn’t love the formula of the dark reds compared to the nudes. If you haven’t tried these lipsticks yet, I would recommend trying the lighter shades first to experience the love I have for them & why I’ve written an entire paragraph on them. Seriously, go do it.
And there you have it! My current go-to routine for an everyday look. Comment below if you’ve tried any of these products or if you plan on trying any out!